Friday 29 July 2011

unknown host: http=127.0.0.1

Well my daily battle with webservices continues unabated. I can see why people would leave IT for a less stressful job, like a human crash test dummy. Today I've been battling with a wonderful error message Uncompilable source code - Erroneous sym type, but more on that later.

Deciding that the only course of action was to remove the web service definition itself and recreate it, I did. Except that I didn't, or rather NetBeans didn't. All I got was this curious error message unknown host: http=127.0.0.1 and nothing got created. So let me get this right. My computer doesn't know where itself is? Hmmm, something not right there. Quick search of the Internet brings up only 6 results, when was the last time you had that? First result is HP Laserjet and Cups, which I am sure was interesting to someone but wasn't helping me. Next one looked more promising. Straight from the Netbeans website a ... ah ... an abandoned question, really helpful. Last one was Ruby on Rails, again not so useful.

Finally I figured out that Fiddler was causing the issue. It was interrupting the request to the web service for the WSDL file and nothing was getting returned except the especially helpful error message. Shutdown Fiddler and instant webservice! So sometimes those really useful programs can be a little less than useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment